Friday, December 6, 2013

The Meaning Behind Stretch Marks

    My son and I were playing the other day on my bed. We love tickle fights. And we love the movie, Elf. In the midst of this battle, my son pulled my shirt up and starting hitting my belly. He's in that phase, for those of you with toddlers. I immediately panicked, pulled my shirt back down, and ended our tickle fight. I laid him down for a nap and accordingly, laid myself down for a nap as well!
    I put my hand where he had hit me and felt what I always feel when I rub my lower belly. Stretch marks.  These smooth, jagged, indentations all under my belly button right where my latest baby is starting to grow. "Why?" I thought to myself, "why do I have to deal with these? They are so gross!"
    My stomach, like most mommas I know, was absolutely DEMOLISHED by stretch marks by the time my son came to town. In fact, at about 36 weeks along, I had an absolutely smooth belly with not a stretch mark in sight and I thought to myself, " I must be one of those lucky girls that doesn't get stretch marks. Lucky me!" Needless to say, within a week I found a tiny, little purple lightening bolt creeping up the left side of my belly. "Its just one...not a problem." And then another starting creeping up the right side and the previous one starting growing. Within a week of my son being due my belly was COVERED in stretch marks, and they were purple and hideous. Nothing beautiful about them.
   That would have been the worst part too if it weren't for the "afterbirth" stretch marks which tend to make your belly look like cottage cheese thats been mauled by a bear, like so:

 
I'll leave the rest up to your imagination!

   Its been over a year since I first saw that ominous stretch mark and I can say that they do heal and fade, but they are still there! In fact, even in my skinniest of friends and sisters, they still carry their scars from childbirth.
   So, it got me wondering, whats the point of stretch marks, really? I mean, our bodies literally transform themselves, like super-human teenage mutant ninja turtles, to carry the baby...why not have super skin as well? I'm sure some of you have thought of this before. In fact, I'm pretty sure Disney got it just right when they created this character:
  Check out those birthing hips!? Disney made some friends in the momma community on this movie for sure...I would have thought her super power would have been pushing out babies. Cuz isn't it, really? My point is, however, that she's Elastigirl! And she stretches..everywhere! Would it have been too much to make our skin stretch enough with our babies so that it doesn't tear? And to make vegetables taste like french fries? As Tevye, from Fiddler on the Roof would say,

                                                 "Would it spoil some vast, eternal PLAN?"

 In fact, let's just roll with that one for a minute, shall we?
Ahem.
       "Dear God, you made many, many stretch marks.
I realize, of course, that it's no shame to have stretch marks.
But it's no great honor either!
So, what would have been so terrible if I had none?"
 
If I had no stretch marks,
Yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum.
All day long I'd actually like my bum.
If I were a stretch-mark free mum!

I wouldn't have to work hard.
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
If I were a silky, smooth skinned,
Idle-diddle-daidle-daidle mum."
 (Emphasis added and lyrics changed)

  Did you dance along? If not, you're missing out. :)
  I think this time around, I'm gonna own that hospital gown and dance down the hospital halls proudly singing this song while I wait for the baby to come. Like this lady:


   But in all seriousness, it got me thinking. "Would it spoil some vast eternal plan NOT to have stretch marks? What was God's purpose in including stretch marks in His plan? I mean, there's lots of things I'd like to talk to Heavenly Father about one day. Here's some on my list:

1. Arm pit hair
2. Eye boogers
3. Miley Cyrus

Ya know, the list could go on...:)
Until then, however, what could possibly be His purpose in letting women experience the scars of childbirth for the rest of their lives?
And then the most beautiful, uplifting thought entered my mind:

          "Doesn't the One who gave His life for all still carry his scars?"






    
It hit me so powerfully and immediately I thought of this scripture in The Book of Mormon, the book of 3rd Nephi, chapter 11, verses 14-15:

     "Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world.
     And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come."

(For those of you who aren't familiar with The Book of Mormon, its where we get our nickname "mormons" from. This is an excerpt from an account of Jesus Christ visiting the people of the Ancient Americas after His death and resurrection in Jerusalem. Please feel free to ask me more about it! )

   I don't think its any coincidence that that thought entered my mind immediately after pondering that question to myself. That's how God works in my life and I believe He answers each of us in a way we will understand. I have learned such a beautiful lesson from all of this.
   Isn't the purpose of this life to learn to become like Jesus? And there's no better way to do that than by having children. There is no greater sacrifice I can think of other than giving your life. And wouldn't God want us to feel like we are like His Son? Any opportunity to have something in common with The Greatest of All God's Children would seem like a priority to me.
   Are stretch marks still embarrassing? Yes. And I don't think the world will ever let us forget that. I can't tell you how many adds I got during my last pregnancy for some proclaimed "miracle cure" for stretch marks. But I hope that I can remember what the purpose of those scars are. To help me remember to sacrifice for others. 
So, the next time you feel your scars, remember, its a chance to have something in common with the Savior of us All. 
Happy Early Merry Christmas to all you mommas out there!



<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11555219/?claim=dxpd3xsxryh">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

5 comments:

  1. I loved this post. I loved the Fiddler on the Roof lyrics, and I LOVED the thought about the Saviour at the end. I haven't had a baby (yet), but I do have some nasty scars from my surgery last year... I now see them in a totally new perspective. Thank you Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your the only one that can start singing fiddler on the roof and make it work!! Thanks for these thoughts. Our bodies are tortured in child birth but who would give up there children, no one!! So embracing the reason we have bodies and why we are women and the shared role we have with Christ is a beautiful message to share. Thanks wizbef!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bro-in-law calls stretch marks and vericose veins the Purple Heart medals that my sister earned bringing kids into the world. They are war wounds for some of the most important work in this life!

    Loving the refreshing blog by the way! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the hilariousness. But best part was the application to the Savior. Women need this in their lives. I'm so glad you are posting this on Facebook to share with everyone. It's so brave of you, and so many need this message. Whether you have or haven't had a baby, many women relate to your feelings. This is a hilarious and positive message that gives people hope. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 4 year old niece saw my belly (too enormous to be fully covered on the underside from her tiny height as she hugged me) and asked, "Why did you scribble all over your tummy?"

    Since then, I've learned to think that they're not scribbles and my body isn't ruined. I'm a tiger who earned her stripes. :)

    ReplyDelete